How do you Manage a Barn Manager?



    So, ever since I've moved the girls to the Goat Barn, the dynamic has been a bit odd with the Barn Manager. 

    Since moving in, I have gotten almost daily texts, and there is some "emergency" with the girls at least weekly, "Porsche is walking funny on the gravel it's laminitis" (It wasn't laminitis, I had just given her a trim and she had a bit of thrush)  "Tesla is running around in the pasture" (Ummm...horses run?) or "I don't know how to put the liners on under their sheets, can you come out and Show me?" : I left work early and zipped out there, and watched her pass me in the driveway as I drove up, I also passed her driving back as I left after putting on the liners: strange..... "Porsche kicked at me when I put her blanket on, is that normal?" and this week I got a 6am text that "Porsche wasn't right and kicking at her belly, and didn't finish her grain and I put the extra heavy liner on" - of course I rushed out there with Banamine tablets and the vet on speed dial if needed without asking for more info...thank God she was fine, some residual soreness from yearly vaccinations: there were fresh poops, all the grain was eaten (possibly by goats)...and as I walked her around, and watched her I wondered why some basic vet tech info had not been relayed (it was advertised that BM was a licensed technician) running a temp? gum refill time? pulse? fresh poops?



Trail-Ma and Tesla sharing some quality face brush time <3 <3 <3 


      I feel like I'm in a catch-22 situation, I want the BM to notify me if she feels something is wrong - but I also feel in this situation is not OK: she says jump and I do every time cause MY BABIES!! 

What would you do if you were in my shoes??


Comments

  1. start looking for land. I know I know- not the most helpful of advice. The truth is that you are always going to have to deal with her being this way. Over time things may settle. Or they may not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I've got my eyes peeled!! Winter is the best time for deals!!

      Delete
  2. I'd move them to another barn. I know you said there's nothing else in the area, but maybe you could find something further away just to get them through the winter until you've got your own place up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finges crossed - getting my own place up and running is the plan!!

      Delete
  3. I... would leave. I can't be at the barn as much as I feel I would need to in order to make sure my horse was being taken care properly. Honestly, one of the reasons I left my last barn because the VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE barn manager that I thought would be overseeing my horse's care was... never in my horse's barn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BM has gotta inspire confidence that they could act in the horses best interest in an emergency!

      Delete
  4. She sounds a bit too high strung for that position! I mean, your horse was a little sore and she tells you she's foundering?! What? Really? On the one hand, glad she's noticing things I guess, but on the other, she sounds nuts. Maybe once she knows your horses a little better she'll calm down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a farrier tell me he had never seen a TB with laminitis (cause their metabolisms were high octane....thin soles on the other hand, yup yup yup.) Right? I want her to tell me when things aren't right, but this is getting outta hand...

      Delete

Post a Comment