Skimping



So I have noticed that Porsche and Tesla have been tending towards lean since moving to Barn #4. At first I attributed it to the minor pacing they were doing until we figured out which paddocks worked for them (farthest from the goats, apparently, lol).

I asked the BM to bump up their hay, which she said she would. Both girls should've been getting 2 hay flakes AM and PM, with a baggie of supplements.

I got a text last weekend that in the AM both mares were literally shaking until she fed them...it was 60C that morning. I brought over their Amigo sheets, and asked her to add a flake of alfalfa, while I increased their grain to AM and PM portions ( a mix of rice bran and low carb pellets)...She offered to give beet pulp mash if I provided it... I've typically seen better results with both of them on higher fat, so wanted to see how it went...

They still look a bit rough, even with the feed bump, and the weather has been just lovely....

I happened to be out yesterday at feed time a few times this last week, and observed some concerning trends....Goats were allowed in the feed room (or can jump in and freely access all day), and were helping themselves to the haynets....these goats are absolute butterballs, so I suspect this is not a "one-time" thing.... The portions were skimpy - and the nets are not refilled before feed time...I didn't see any alfalfa in any of them...

There are 3 empty paddocks, and my feeling is that funds are probably tight....the fact that she is pushing me to provide more of my own feed (when unlimited hay was included in board) also makes me think this is the case....

A lot of red flags for me here....but, honestly I have to try and make it work until any other better option opens up - I will 100% have to keep them over the winter at this facility. If I rock the boat too much, we will be homeless....

I think my best option is to increase the nutritional content of their "baggies", with pelleted hay/a complete feed - since I know they are actually getting that - and then ask for the beet pulp mash. 

What are your favourite feed additives for weight gain?








Comments

  1. I'd try to move barns, but if you're stuck, here's what's worked for us in the past. We don't feed grain so I recommend Horse Guard Weight Gain. I've tried cool calories and some other similar supplement and Horse Guard blows them away. Also, if they have consistent paddocks that they live in, you could buy extra bales of hay and put them in slow feed nets that stay in those paddocks. I did that for Nilla when she was suffering from Ulcers - bought extra bales of hay for her. Finally, pelleted or cubed hay is another good option if the BO will feed them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olivia gave some great suggestions here. I understand what it's like to be trapped like that and it doesn't feel good. I feed 'Fibre Nuggets' which is essentially hay with vitamins (http://www.thornloefeed.com/products/feed/equine/fibre-nugget-ration.html). You can substitute it for hay. Honestly, 2 hay flakes morning and evening doesn't sound like enough, especially for winter. I've used beet pulp and it does help but I've eliminated it now that I used the fibre nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My senior Clydesdale mare weathered most of last winter fine, then in the final months (Feb-March) dropped an alarming amount (I blame the pushy pony who's been removed from her paddock and just her age and the winter dragging on) a breeder and my vet both suggested added beet pulp (soaked) and vegetable oil to her feed - she bounced back fantastically, and looks like a horse half her age. I'd send you photos to show the drastic improvement, if I knew how to attach them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup - beet pulp is a winner - I'll look into some supplemental oils as well, Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Oh that is frustrating! I agree with Olivia, if you can find something else, do. But if you can't, (which I also get!) her suggestions are very good. I feed my senior horse a chopped hay (he can't chew up regular hay) and his weight holds well with that. It's this one: https://seminolefeed.com/shop/equine-feeds/seminole-wellness/seminole-wellness-equi-safe/
    But it's not cheap, and you really don't want the goats stealing it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on the look-out for a place to go to, but in the meantime I'm gonna try ALL THE OPTIONS. I'll check out that feed - thanks for the recommendation!!

      Delete

Post a Comment