Breed Biases


Had an interesting talk with one of the gals who grooms for one of the big trainers at my barn. She works with a variety of breeds: Warmbloods, Lusitanos, Andalusians, Friesians, Mustangs and TBs. I asked about different horse personalities and boy did I get an earful :)


Warmbloods she dismissed as being too big (she is a petite gal) and that their initial instinct when you ask for something is to say "nope".

The only trend that I have noticed with warmbloods is that they will take a lot of correction. Seriously, if I used my whip on Tesla or Porsche in the manner I've seen done with warmbloods at my barn, my horse would be outta the arena. Bye Felicia!


A famous warmblood: Valegro


Lusitanos were her favourite, she loved the size and the intelligence: 3x doing something and they had learnt it: although she did say they were so smart they could pick up bad behaviors just as quickly. She said they were very people-oriented horses, ammy-friendly, and wanted to please, albeit on the sensitive side.

I don't have much experience with the Iberian breeds, other than wanting to breed to this lovely for buckskin/smoky black babies ;)

Saphiro



Friesians are stand-offish (took her 6+ months to make friends with one) and can be spooky.

I have noticed that the Friesians tend to stand in their stalls with their bums towards the door - when every other horse has their head in the aisle. They seem to like some personal space, more introverted, but I've had them warm up to me with some well placed scritches ;)





She felt mustangs needed a purpose: that they didn't enjoy mindless repetition.


I have had the chance to know Olivia's lovely mustangs - and they seemed perfectly happy packing me around :D  The gal who put the first 90 days on Tesla had a mustang, Gideon, who was an awesome cow horse.


US Wild Horse and Burro Association



She didn't really have anything in particular to say about TBs - other than they could have a long working life, and they were growing on her.


I think it is no surprise to anyone who reads this blog that I LOVE thoroughbreds (and TB crosses ;). I love their heart, their work ethic, and athleticism. Sure, a lot of them have crappy feet, and most are bottomless pits to feed. Yeah, some of them can be crazy hot (or just plain crazy).  But the good ones are just GOLD.





What about you?

Have you found some breed stereotypes to be true?

Or does your own horse break the mold?











Comments

  1. I've owned and trained a LOT of warmbloods and never have found that they say no, maybe it's a difference in training technique. I do find they are tolerant of a lot of pressure/mistakes (as in they're not going to launch a rider making bad training decisions as often as a less tolerant breed would, hence them being the choice for trainers who don't know more than the crank-and-spank method), so it's easy for people to go from asking to demanding and then claim that they say no a lot lol come on people. And my Friesian experience (3 full, and then my half) is that they're all SUPER friendly, and two of them (mine and one of the fulls) have been very spooky. Interesting incites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ridden one warmblood: a 17+hh giant mare who had been pushed too hard, too fast and was mentally done by age 10. A trainer was trying to bring her back to the show ring, but the only thing Fendi didn't say no to, poor baby, was trail rides.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Really interesting insight into the breeds! What's interesting is that what she said about Lusitanos I've noticed in almost every mare I've ever ridden. It doesn't matter the breed. Ask/teach a mare to do something 3x in succession, take a break, go back to it and they've got it. But then, perhaps that's training? I don't know. Whisper has a lot of TB influence, and I've noticed she thinks a lot more like a TB. Amber has a lot less TB influence, but is a sensitive ride due to her cow blood. The reining fillies I rode were all very smart, too. Some really didn't want anything to do with the work, so there was that. But almost every time, 3x and they had it. But I really haven't done much work with a lot of other breeds, just a lot of variety within one breed lol. How fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are breed specific traits but not every horse fits the stereotype. I will agree that Iberian breeds highly intelligent. They are also quite sensitive and like to bond to a few people.

    I love QHs - I find them to be uncomplicated and easy going. Of course not all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, each horse is an individual, and needs to be judged as such :)

      Delete
  4. Interesting. Eugene doesn't mind repetition. He just wants to please my husband. Levi doesn't mind repetition either. He minds having to work hard, but repetition alone doesn't seem to be a problem. I like what Megan said about WBs. They seem to tolerate a lot of crap from people and I could see that being misconstrued as saying no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girls definitely have "busy brains" and they go best when you change it up a lot. A friend borrowed Porsche for a lesson with a repetition drill sergeant once....it didn't go well :(

      Delete
  5. Interesting! I don't have a lot of experience with any one breed, although most recently I've known and ridden mostly Thoroughbreds. I'd say the common thread with most of them have been sensitivity and pretty athletic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment