Turn-outs a wonderful thing




Whew! These two gave me a workout this weekend!

Barn 5 has no real turnout situation (at the moment) and I can tell these girls are charged up, feelin' good and ready to GO:


Post-porpoising napping

Really happy with how Porsche's weight has started to improve: she is basically getting free choice hay at this point <3 (and all her supplements!) It is hard to see under all the dust & sweat in this photo, but she has a nice metallic sheen, even to her winter coat, yay!) Now to build that topline back up!


Synchronized learning of Patience. The size difference always cracks me up!! The trailer is my tack room for now.

Tesla had a calculus exam i.e. on the longe, super windy, and a new mare + filly in the adjoining pasture who was calling Tess all kinds of nasty names across the fence (LOL).

A good desensitizing opportunity! So we did some work and I was firm: I am WAY scarier than the scary mare. Tess didn't quite believe me..

I was asking her to move forward on the longe, and the mare was reaching over the fence, teeth bared: I could see the hamster fall off the wheel when "EVERYONE IS YELLING AT ME"!! 

There was some whip cracking, and I even had to touch her with it a few times (the horror!) and even tho' I ended on a good note, someones marbles were still rattling around...


When u want to be naughty but someone is watching....2 seconds later she did a Houdini...


I tied Tess up to the trailer next to Porsche, and she started pulling back and popping her hay-tie. She hasn't done that in years. I legit watched her do it, all the while watching me (!!!)  So, everytime she popped herself loose, I made her move her feet. Lots of backing. Changes of direction in the round pen. Finally I took her back out in the arena on the longe and we did canter/trot transitions until she worked out the bug juice and was calm and listening. Then we did trot/walk until she was relaxed and I tied her back to the trailer. She cocked a leg, and no more pulling ;) Lots of cookies ensued.


It is great that I can work through a lot of these "situations" at this barn. I can see how this desensitization would come in handy in a crowded warm-up ring...so I'll take all the cranky neighbor mare stares (and teefs) I can get!

I will also say, I'm not 100% sure what has happened to Tesla at Barns 1-4, but I do feel like she is much more clingy and less alpha than she used to be....kinda wonder if it is all the moving making her insecure, or she got taken down a few pegs by the alpha mare at Barn 3...(where she was getting group turn out without my knowledge/consent...)...I will definitely need to fine-tune my toolbox for this new side of Tesla..












Comments