Hoof Update: Porsche



Porsche has very different feet from Tesla. She has typical TB feet = thin walls, which means I can see everything that is going on :P

Currently she is on a daily Augment supplement, and I use Keratex on her hooves 3x per week. She is totally sound completely barefoot, but as she has a nearly grown out crack (knock on wood!) on the inside of her Left Front (from a Farrier Hot-nailing experience: what actually started me on barefoot in the first place!), I have her in front easyboot gloves for some extra stability when I ride (also it is incredibly rocky around the barn).

It has been super muddy, so her coronet bands/heels were a bit puffy in these photos from the excess moisture:

LF:


I can see that I can be more aggressive with the mustang roll. I would like to see a bit more heel, but overall this looks like a happy, sound foot to me.

Underside:

Yup, even looks good under the hood :)



RF:

Porsche has two different sized front feet (actually not all that uncommon) This is the larger and slightly flatter foot:


Again, I could be more aggressive with the mustang roll, but overall, I'm pleased with how this foot is on the way to becoming more upright.



RH:



Would like more heel here...but again, the angles look decent (under all the mud - whoops!)


LH:

This was the foot that she recently had an abscess in so yeah, it definitely is the most "sickly" at the moment.



Not crazy about the angle differences: her heel is much flatter and slightly under-run. Again, should be more aggressive with the roll in the front...but it is easier to take it off than grow it back, so I tend to err on the conservative side :) She had a bit of flaring, which I took down (you can see the bit of white hoof at the quarter line) - so that should help. The coronet band also looks curved - but I think this is somewhat of an optical illusion from the waterlogged coronets.


Not gonna win any hoof beauty contests yet but these functional feet will only help themselves get better (given the chance and correct trimming).




Comments

  1. TB feet are the worst. I'd actually never had a horse that could go barefoot at all until Niko!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment