Hoof Update



GOALS!

The combination of alternating treatments, epsom salt soaks, regular and corrective hoof trims, and a hoof supplement (pretty sure the Augment was the last missing piece in the puzzle), has finally made a dent in the thrush hell-hole Tesla and I found ourselves in.

It was way worse than I thought - I was finding new pockets nearly every time I cleaned her feet out - it also had sneakily curled up under the angle of the bar, and not til I brought her heels down for the 2nd or 3rd time could I see that it was starting to eat up her white line - what?!?
(carved that nastiness out quick as quick!)

I feel horrible for not realizing how bad it had gotten - a handful of poor trims was all it took for the thrush to take a serious foothold- - - and it was a tough learning curve.  I am way more informed now and once we eradicate it, I'm certain our new maintenance routine will keep it at bay. 

GOALS!

Right hind: looking better: Still need to gradually shorten up the toe, and be more aggressive with the mustang roll - starting to grow some more padding in the heel area...



Same hoof, underside: Dug out thrush on the left: cleft between heel bulbs is getting shallower: can also see here I need to bring the toe back to the white line (see how much thicker it is in the front than on the sides?)










Comments

Post a Comment