Informal Blog Hop: 10 for October


Thanks to L over at Viva Carlos :) and squeezing in just in the nick of time!

What do you consider jumping "high" for yourself?

Ummm... cavaletti is usually my height (but Porsche has definitely jumped a ditch or two on trails)

What are your short term goals for riding? Do you think you'll reach them?

Right now I'm working on becoming a more effective rider, being clearer in my aids, and bit by bit getting Tesla round, on the bit and balanced! I have an awesome trainer and yup, we're gonna get there!

Long term goals for riding? Do you think you will reach them?

Would like to do a training level test with Tesla at a recognized show this summer :) and maybe a few schooling shows first...just to get her used to things! Yup - I think doable! and to keep progressing up as high as we can go!

How many barns have you been at in your riding career?

I've always boarded at home until three years ago, and I've been at 4 barns in that time. Two proved to be unsafe (warning signs were there but I didn't realize being new to boarding), the third was lovely, but literally the facility was starting to fall apart (so sad), and the current barn is a bit more competitive than I would prefer, but I can ride in the evenings and it is lovely.

How many different trainers have you had?

Three. The first had me yanking on Porsche's mouth (not cool, but I didn't know any better); I'm participating in clinics with Jutta Schott (she's awesome!) with both mares and I'm now with Trainer J, who is very good for both Tesla and I.

Ever worked at a barn? What did you do?

I volunteered with the Polo Team, and was a working student briefly at barn #1. Lots of grooming/tacking/wrapping/picking/soaping (you name it!)

Scariest thing that has happened at your barn?

I was riding Tesla in the arena, and a trainer was lunging her stallion, and he got loose and went flying around the ring dragging his lunge line behind him: I was terrified it would get tangled in his legs, and also that Tesla would get spooked (she was giving the line a hairy eye!) and as soon as it was safe, I hopped off. Luckily the stallion calmed down, and it ended safely.

Have you ever given a lesson? What level was the rider?

I have definitely had Porsche pack around some beginners and coached them at the walk.
My mentors daughter came for a ride, and was game to trot, but then was suddenly cantering, and I calmly gave Porsche verbal commands of "easy" so that she quietly came back down to a walk (and of course, the daughter was grinning ear to ear!) Tesla is not quite ready to pack around beginners yet (well, besides me haha!)


What is your opinion on the accuracy of critiquing riders online?

A photo is just a moment in time, and for me, having the instructor tell me what to do in real time is way more valuable. But sometimes it is nice to see if you are on the right track with a third party opinion.

What is the ideal height of horse for you?

I wouldn't go any taller than Tesla at 16.2hh.  But Porsche at 15.2hh is super fun!









Comments